A1 A1
City_news
featured
8 women killed in 8 weeks Thousands of Montrealers march against domestic violence

In light of the deaths of eight women in eight weeks — with one death every week — Montrealers turned out in two demonstrations against domestic violence and in memory of the seventh victim Rebekah Love Harry.

A movement to denounce conjugal violence organized by actress and author Ingrid Falaise along with several organizations for victims of conjugal violence led thousands of demonstrators throughout the province to march and to speak out in their local communities last Friday.

In Montreal, thousands marched from Lafontaine Park to Jeanne Mance Park, stopping along the way to give way to speakers to say a few words to the general public and to encourage the marchers.

Many demonstrators sported white ribbons symbolizing the support of women. Others had signs with slogans such as “We won’t be silenced”, “SHE matters!” and “Invest in woman’s shelters, now!”.There was a heavy police presence securing a solid parameter around the demonstration.

Conjugal violence has been the cause of eight deaths in eight weeks. “Enough is enough!” demonstrators chanted. “Not one more.”

The organizers called on the provincial government to act immediately. “We need to strengthen the safety net around victims of conjugal violence. Listening attentively, we look forward to the echo of our voices today.” Ingrid Falaise said.

On Saturday, Some 1,500 people marched from Cabot Square to Dorchester Square down St. Catherine St. in downtown Montreal in memory of Rebekah Love Harry and against domestic violence. The 29-year old mother of one died in hospital last week after succumbing to injuries sustained in an alleged attack from her partner.She was the 7th woman in 7 weeks to have died from an incident of domestic violence.

Since Rebekah’s death there has been an eighth in as many weeks. The marchers were led by Rebekah’s family. Loudspeakers broadcast the words “Remember Rebekah Love Harry! Say her name!” Both marches heard demands for more resources from the government to handle the dramatic rise in the number of domestic violence cases.

It is estimated by government and women’s shelter sources that incidents of domestic abuse have risen some 50% due to the lockdown and isolation measures imposed during the pandemic. Attorney Brigitte Garceau, President of the West Island Women’s Shelter which is the largest such facility in the Montreal area, told The Suburban that in a normal year 6,000 crisis calls are received. Since the containment measures began the calls have risen to over 10,000.


City_news
Legault announces preventative measures, 55+ can get AstraZeneca vaccine

Premier François Legault announced that while the COVID situation in Montreal remains stable, preventative measures were still necessary as increases could still come in days or weeks especially in light of the situation in Ontario, particularly Toronto.

“April is a critical month,” he warned. “We don’t want to wait to see increases to act. The risk is more significant this week than last week. The situation is fragile.But the ERs and ICUs are stable in Montreal.”

As a result, the Premier announced that in red zones like Montreal, as of Monday, students in Secondary III, IV and V will go to school on alternate days and extra-curricular activities will be cancelled. As of Thursday, gyms will be closed and places of worship will be limited to 25 people, down from the recent 250.

Legault added that the government considered bringing the curfew in Montreal back to 8 p.m. from 9:30 p.m., and he did not rule out a return to 8 p.m. if there is an increase in cases.

“There are many workers working later and people want to walk when it’s still light. The situation is still under control, but we’re keeping an eye on this from one hour to the next.”

Legault also warned that businesses which break the rules can be closed on the authority of provincial public health officials, especially in light of a single Quebec City gym in which COVID spread to upwards of 200 people.

Health Minister Christian Dubé announced that, starting Thursday, Quebecers 55 and over will be able to get the AstraZeneca vaccine at designated sites. The province had suspended its use for that age group because of possible blood clotting issues in Europe.

“All vaccinations are safe and efficient, the benefits outweigh the risks.”

Dubé also said the next priority group will be essential workers at high risk, and those with chronic illnesses.


West_island_news
Herron class action lawsuit settled for $5.5 million

Residents and their families have reached a $5.5 million settlement with the Herron Residence management in a class action lawsuit.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of Barbara Schneider whose mother Mary Schneider (93) died while residing at the Herron last April. It alleged inhumane and degrading maltreatment resulting from the management’s failure to ensure continued and adequate care.

Lawyer Arthur Wechsler, representing the plaintiffs, confirmed that the agreement was signed with Groupe Katasa representatives Wednesday morning.

Surviving residents who were living at the long-term care facility during the first wave of COVID, the estates of deceased residents and the next of kin of the deceased will share the settlement amount. Eligible parties to the class action are expected to receive payment by the end of 2021.

The settlement is pending a judge’s authorization of the agreement. A date is scheduled before a Quebec Superior Court judge on April 30.

The 47 deaths that occurred at the Herron is at the centre of a coroner’s inquest which has been delayed at the request of the Herron owners to fall 2021 as they are waiting to see if they will be facing criminal charges.

Investigations are still in progress by the regional health authority (CIUSSS) as well as the Montreal police (SPVM).

Groupe Katasa is no longer the owners of the Herron Residence but still runs six other residences for the elderly in Quebec.


City_news
featured
1,500 March in memory of Rebekah Love Harry

Some 1,500 people marched from Cabot Square to Dorchester Square down St. Catherine St. in downtown Montreal on Saturday in memory of Rebekah Love Harry and against domestic violence. The 29-year old mother of one died in hospital last week after succumbing to injuries sustained in an alleged attack from her partner.She was the 7th woman in 7 weeks to have died from an incident of domestic violence. Since Rebekah’s death there has been an eighth in as many weeks. The marchers were led by Rebekah’s family. Loudspeakers broadcast the words “Remember Rebekah Love Harry! Say her name!” The march followed the Friday march of some 2000 from Lafontaine Park to Jeanne Mance Park organized by a coalition of women’s shelters demanding action against domestic violence and more resources from the government to handle the dramatic rise in the number of domestic violence cases. It is estimated that they have risen some 50% due to the lockdown and isolation measures imposed during the pandemic. Attorney Brigitte Garceau, President of the West Island Women’s Shelter which is the largest such facility in the Montreal area, told The Suburban that in a normal year 6,000 crisis calls are received. Since the containment measures began the calls have risen to over 10,000.


“I’m glad the team came back in the second half,” Lakers coach Karim Ladicani said. “It was only a five-point difference, and that only happened in the last few minutes of the game. The only thing we can do is practice hard and come back stronger next game.”


Back