Spring is an ideal time to put your home on the market - the changeover of seasons is also a great opportunity to refresh things at home and get ready to list your house. One of the best ways to present your home to buyers is to do a little home staging. The goal of home staging is to make a home appealing to the highest number of potential buyers, thereby selling a property more swiftly and for more money.
So here are some home staging tips to follow for a quick and easy sale:
- Eliminate the clutter! And don't just stash it in a closet - buyers check all kinds of nooks and crannies, and will definitely open and peek inside closets. Buy some neutral-coloured bins and hide your excess in there. Make the rooms look as neat and tidy as possible.
- Keep your decor as monochromatic as possible. Sure, you might love vibrant colours when it comes to wall art, pillows or throws, but these aren't necessarily everyone's cup of tea. Try switching out these bolder tones for something a bit softer.
- Remove personal items from your decor. That includes photographs and other interest-specific accessories. You want people who are touring your home to be able to picture themselves living in your home, and that can be hard to do when surrounded by family portraits and posey school pics.
- Set the table. A beautifully set dining room table can completely transform this area of the house and make it look more "appetizing" (pun intended). Also set other entertaining areas, such as kitchen buffets or home bars.
- Show off your home's best assets. This could be removing area rugs from hardwood floors, switching out heavy draperies for lighter sheers to draw attention to beautiful views, or clearing off your beautiful marble countertops in the kitchen or bathroom.
- Consider virtual staging. Most buyers hit the web to get a glimpse of homes that are for sale, and you want properly staged photos. This is usually the first look buyers have of your home, and you want to make it count.
- Take your curb appeal into consideration. The interior of your home could be clean, organized and streamlined, but if the outside is sloppy or messy, this could be an immediate deterent for buyers. Rake up those old leaves, put some freshly-planted flowers in pretty pots by the front or garage doors, and sweep pathways and driveways.
When all else fails, hire a professional home stager!
You can also check out the amazing list of vendors that are on our MList Card and can help you choose some great pieces for your home staging needs (plus you'll save money!).