It’s World Cup kickoff week and they’ve got soccer, soccer and more soccer. The GOAL Initiative Soccer Tournament, supported by Canada Soccer, takes place at Percival Molson Stadium this Sunday, June 17 (doors open at 9 am). An outdoor soccer tournament all day and two World Cup soccer games on the big screen – Mexico vs Germany at 11 am and Switzerland vs Brazil at 2pm. Plus activities for everyone in the family. Spend part of Father’s Day in the sun.
The event hosted is by Jason Rockman of CHOM and Patrick Langlois of Rouge FM La Belle Vie and Quebec’s Global Citizen Ambassador. There will be plenty of fun things to do. Food, drink, smoothies, tattoos, Lululemon, free haircuts, an EA video game activation, a soccer boutique and the 1642 supporters.
- The best bartenders, restaurant staff, local celebs and local industry members will compete on the soccer pitch. 24 teams participate (see list below).
- Star athletes like goalkeeper Evan Bush and other Montreal pro soccer players, John Bowman of the Alouettes and more will be onsite to cheer on the competing teams.
Food & Drink
- A full menu of food is available all day, starting at 10 am.
- All the major beers will be served.
- Specialty cocktails created for the event by Brand Ambassadors will be served on site by Jack Daniels, El Jimador, Jagermeister & Romeo’s Gin.
- Liquid Nutrition will be on site with smoothies.
Stuff to do
- Maison Privée will make you look good with a complimentary haircut.
- You can get a tattoo on site.
- Lululemon will have an activation on site.
- The folks at Freestyle Soccer Montreal will show you what they can do with soccer balls.
- EA Sports has a video game activation and giveaways to offer.
- Passion Soccer Boutique will showcase the latest soccer equipment which soccer enthusiasts can test out and purchase on site.
- Kiehl’s will have a pop up booth.
- The 1642 Supporters, a supporters group officially recognized by the Impact Montréal Football Club, will be on site to motivate the players and to get everyone involved in encouraging their teams through chanting and visuals.
- Throughout the day, The Red Bull DJ Team will keep the music flowing.
GOALMTL raises funds for non-profit organizations that help support families, youth, social activities and education. To date, over $310,000 has been raised. One of the beneficiaries this year will be, Right to Play, a global organization committed to improving the lives of children and youth affected by conflict, disease and poverty. Right to Play uses the power of play to educate and empower children to overcome the effects of poverty, conflict and disease in disadvantaged communities around the world.
Other beneficiaries are the Montreal Community Cares Foundation, which supports the development of youth across the city and Share the Warmth Foundation, which fights hunger and poverty.
For the ninth year, 23 bars, restaurants & local industry members in Montreal will pay to play in the GOAL Initiative tournament and endeavour to bring the Cup home. An additional team will be made up of Montreal celebrities and media stars (players to be named shortly.)
Teams will represent: Burgundy Lion Group, B52, evenko, Speigel Sohmer, Maison Privée, Kampai Garden, Rouge Bar, Mavericks Barbier, Marinelli Brothers, Knox Taverne, Escondite, Passion Soccer, SaintWoods, Lili & Oli, Vigilant Global, Lululemon, Imadake, Style & Easy, Luxury Retreats, Bar Loïc, Bombardier, Bar Barroco & the Community Team
- FREE ADMISSION — Percival Molson Stadium – 475, avenue des Pins West.
—Right to Play
—Montreal Community Cares Foundation
—Share the Warmth Foundation