The first round of cannon fire broke the quiet and solemn silence prior to the start of this past Monday’s Remembrance Day ceremony held at the National Field of Honour in Pointe Claire.
Followed by a stirring rendition of our national anthem by the 438th Air Force Band, hundreds of West Islanders of all ages had come to the cenotaph to honour the sacrifices made by members of our military.
Retired Brigadier General Gaston Cote, President of the Quebec Last Post Fund, spoke to the assembled about the cooler temperature that morning and “this minor cold today is nothing compared to what our soldiers went through, fighting for months in muddy trenches, in the rain and fog, with rats and mutilated bodies all around them.
“We are a pacifist country that has always answered the call to help those in need,” Cote said. “It is important to keep the memory alive of all of those who served to defend our country.”
Civilian Claude Lesage of Giant Factories Inc. was the guest of honour and told attendees “we owe a great deal to our military who protected our freedoms, qualities and values.
“Our veterans merit our appreciation and we need to keep the memory alive of those who gave all.”
Reverend Sylvain d’Heureux asked those who had come to honour the men and women of our Armed Forces to “think about all of our veterans but especially our new veterans, who we sometimes forget about as we reflect on their ultimate sacrifice.”
The cannon fired twice again, at the beginning and ending of the two minute silent tribute to those that have fallen as well as thinking of the 22,000 souls buried in the National Field of Honour. The Last Post was played and the soldiers in attendance saluted during Reveille.
During the laying of the wreathes, dignitaries including Lac St.Louis MP Francis Scarpaleggia and Pointe Claire Mayor John Belvedere were escorted by members of the Iberville Squadron of the St. Jean Royal Military College.
K.I.D.S. daycare in Pierrefonds was hit with two ‘Molotov cocktail’ firebombs early Friday morning. Daycare staff discovered the broken window, which served as the point of entry for the firebombs that had been thrown into the daycare, when they arrived for their opening shift at approximately 7:40 a.m. last Friday.
The fire department was called to the scene. The daycare was secured and regular operations were restored as of 9 a.m. on Friday morning. Police officers remained in the area throughout the day to ensure the safety of the staff and children at the daycare and to keep an eye out for any suspicious activity surrounding the area.
Operations manager Earl Adams told The Suburban that the incident occurred between 1-2 a.m. “The alarm went off, but at that moment nothing was thought of it, because with the extreme weather conditions experienced lately, the window sensor often reacts to heavy winds.” Adams said.
According to Adams, the incident is a complete mystery to him, the daycare staff and police.
Police are investigating surveillance footage belonging to the daycare as well as surrounding businesses. No arrests have been made. Police encourage anyone with information regarding the incident to come forward.