Not only are many homebuyers sitting on the fence in the summertime, but so, too, are would-be home
seller. Sellers are wondering whether they may have missed the spring market or whether the best is yet to come.
Traditionally in Quebec the real estate market’s demand dips in summer – from St. Jean Baptiste to the end of the construction holidays. However, due to the widespread use of technology, this is changing. As a result, the hot selling season is no longer earlier but all summer long. So dive in! The market conditions are wonderful!
In recent years, mobile devices have created an "always-on" mentality among users – which, let’s face it, is increasingly everyone. Homebuyers in particular are looking for every advantage to locate their dream homes in a tight seller’s market, like using the latest technological advances to get an edge over their competitors. While they may be on holiday, the most tech-savvy home buyers set automated alerts for properties that are of interest. These latest tech tricks mean that they’re always looking.
Sellers should keep their properties always-at-the-ready for a potential showing, which may mean making some adjustments to their summer routines:
- During the summer, keep your home’s air-conditioning slightly lower than you would normally. This will create the impression that the house is a crisp and cool hideaway from the summer heat. While this may increase your energy consumption slightly, it may help sell your home faster than if it’s hot, steamy and dank during an unexpected viewing.
- Keep cool drinks on-hand for would-be purchasers. Maybe they rushed to make it to the appointment. Water bottles are standard but homemade lemonade is a nice extra touch. Placing any type of beverage in an ice bucket immediately elevates it and makes it seem extra thirst-quenching.
- Even during the day, keep all the interior lights in your home on. If it’s very sunny outside, this will help buyers adjust to the difference in light faster once inside. This includes lights in hallways, closets and under cabinets.
- Even more so that any other time of the year, maintaining your property’s curb appeal during the summer is super important. This means landscaping and maintaining any grounds at the front of your house in full bloom. If rain is scarce, be sure to keep your lawn watered and green. Clear all vines and overgrowth from windows. Also patrol for spiders and cobwebs on a daily basis – these critters are very active at this time of year.
- At the back, any patio or balcony areas should be swept of debris and feel welcoming. If you have a pool, make sure it is sparkling clean and inviting.
- A final touch that’s nice is to cut a selection of flowers that grow in your garden displayed in vases throughout the home. There is something about having cut flowers from your garden that makes a house extra special!
Remember, just a few small touches make an enormous difference in how your property shows to potential summer buyers. And, please... don’t let a vacation stop you from selling. Hand over the keys of your property to your real estate broker and leave worry-free.
Remember, I am only a phone call away if you have any questions.
All the best, Claudia
Claudia Lefebvre is a Chartered Real Estate Broker who thrives on delivering impeccable customer experience. Her passion for beautiful homes, building relationships while exceeding her customers’ expectations paved the way to her brilliant 10 year career in leading real estate companies like Remax du Cartier and Sotheby’s.
Now with Profusion Realty, Christie’s International Real Estate, she is recognized for her talent as a negotiator, her impeccable quality and highly personalized service for her carefully selected clients. When it comes to selling or buying a house, do not hesitate to contact her at (514) 581-1286, or visit her website claudialefebvre.com