Snowglobe Theatre will hold a special gala performance of David Auburn’s Proof on Tuesday, March 12 at Mainline Theatre, to benefit the mental health charity L’Abri en Ville.
In Auburn’s Pulitzer Prize winner Proof, directed by Nicholas Stamiris-Haze, Catherine mourns her father, Robert, a brilliant mathematician whose struggle with mental illness made him entirely dependent on her in the final years of his life. His recent death has brought into her midst both her sister, Claire, who wants to take Catherine back to New York with her, and Hal, a former student of Catherine’s father, who hopes to find some hint of Robert’s genius among his incoherent scribbling.
Theatre has the power to go beyond entertainment — it reflects life, and showcases the uniqueness of our triumphs and pitfalls. Proof exposes the reality of those living with mental illness and the impact of their situation on their caregivers and loved ones.
With this partnership, Snowglobe and L’Abri aim to raise awareness around mental illness and fundraise for the cause. This gala performance will include a pre-show talk by residents of L’Abri en Ville, accompanied by refreshments and a silent auction.
This performance is graciously sponsored by Mainline Theatre.
L’Abri en Ville’s mission is to provide a stable and fulfilling environment for persons with a mental illness through safe, affordable housing and inclusion in a community that supports their social, material and spiritual needs. The group believes in a society in which persons with mental illness can be full, contributing members. After over 25 years of service, L’Abri en Ville has 10 apartments, 30 residents, and about 60 volunteers.
Snowglobe Theatre is dedicated to promoting the love of English language theatre in Montreal, and to provide opportunities for new and emerging artists to hone their craft. With this special performance, Snowglobe will not only share the work of emerging and seasoned artists, but also use its platform to help a community that struggles to find support.
For more info visit http://snowglobetheatre.org/
- Directed by Nicholas Stamiris-Haze
- Tuesday, March 12, at 8 pm at Mainline Theatre (3997 boulevard Saint-Laurent)
- Doors open at 7 pm
- Tickets: $50 (a tax receipt of $25 will be issued)
- To reserve: https://snowglobetheatre.brownpapertickets.com/
- Note: this performance is outside the regular run of the play.
- Regular performances of Proof are:
- March 7-9 and March 13-16 at 8 pm
- March 10 and 17 at 2 pmbv
- at Mainline Theatre (3997 boulevard Saint-Laurent)
- Regular: $25 | Senior/Student/QDF: $22
- Box office: (514) 849-3378 | snowglobetheatre.org