Les Films de Jennie and La Distributrice de films are pleased to announce screening events with the film crew in attendance for the theatrical release of IMPETUS, the most recent feature by filmmaker Jennifer Alleyn (My Father’s Studio, Cosmos). Having screened for the first time at the RIDM and then as a European premiere at the Torino Film Festival, IMPETUS will open in theatres on January 18 at Cinéma du Musée (Montreal), in its original version with English subtitles, and at Cinéma Beaubien (Montreal), Cinémathèque québécoise (Montreal), Cinéma Cartier (Quebec) and La Maison du cinéma (Sherbrooke), in its French subtitled version.
The US Premiere will then happen during the 25th Slamdance Festival (Utah, USA), which showcases the most innovative international cinema. IMPETUS will be presented in the Narrative Feature Competition. Two screenings will take place on January 26 and 29, with the filmmaker in attendance.
IMPETUS allowed this former La Course destination monde participant to return to a very mobile shooting style and to take hold of the camera again. “I shot several scenes of the film in New York, using the ‘caméra-stylo’ concept, with the greatest freedom. I rediscovered the pleasure of turning the camera towards human beings, taking the time to capture a conversation—a brief moment that can sometimes change a life,” says Jennifer Alleyn, who tackles fiction without abandoning the documentary form.
An engineer (Emmanuel Schwartz) abandoned by his lover; a filmmaker (Jennifer Alleyn) abandoned by her actor; an actress friend in self-reflection (Pascale Bussières); and a musician philosopher who put away his guitar (John Reissner) have all hit a wall. IMPETUS follows, from Montreal to New York, four individuals colliding, each giving the other a new impulse, a liberating impetus.
In a free form that gives way to the creative process, IMPETUS combines documentary and auto-fiction, in an ode to the possibilities offered by the intervals between what’s real and what’s imaginary.
SPECIAL SCREENINGS SCHEDULE
- Monday, January 14 at 7 p.m at the Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec (Quebec). PREVIEW SCREENING hosted by Jennifer Alleyn, Pascale Bussières and John Reissner.
- Thursday, January 17 at 7:15 p.m at La Maison du cinéma (Sherbrooke); PREVIEW SCREENING hosted by Jennifer Alleyn and Pascale Bussières.
- Friday, January 18 at 7 p.m. at Cinéma Beaubien (Montreal); Special screening hosted by Jennifer Alleyn, Pascale Bussières and John Reissner.
- Saturday, January 19 at 5:30 p.m. at Cinémathèque québécoise (Montreal); Special screening hosted by Jennifer Alleyn, Pascale Bussières and Emmanuel Schwartz.
- Sunday, January 20 at 2 p.m. at Cinéma du Musée (Montreal); Special screening hosted by Jennifer Alleyn, Emmanuel Schwartz and Esfir Dyachkov (*Discussion in English)
- New screenings with the filmmaker and the crew in attendance will soon be announced on the movie’s official website and Facebook page.